Blog Background

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Title Unknown

Well, I made it through an entire week of being back at work with only a few bumps and bruises! Throughout the day, I think of lots of things to post in this blog, and then by the time I sit down by the computer, they are gone out of my head. So, this blog should be very random! First of all, congratulations to the Hazlewoods (Kate & Ben) on producing the next heir to the family. Does anyone else think that men must feel so masculine when they can "knock up" their wife? Have we discussed this, Chris Anne?
Now, for a quick soapbox rant and rave. Next week in the Hall County School system, the kids are taking the CRCT test, which 3rd and 5th graders must pass to go on to the next grade. This past week, everyone was going out of their ever-living minds over this test. Now, I shouldn't brag, but it is the truth--the school where I work usually has some of the highest scores in the county (out of 17 elementary schools)--so alot of times everyone fixates on the kids who won't pass (which is very few). Maybe it is because I am new to the school system, or maybe it is because I can keep my head on straight, but I understand that some kids can pass the test, but there are some kids, that no matter how well they are taught, and no matter how wonderful their teachers are (and all teachers are great, I think)--they are not going to pass a standardized test. It is no one's fault, it is just how it is. Don't lose any sleep over it! Geez! Okay, enough of that. I will close with a recipe for the easiest cookies I have ever made (and they are yummy, too!) Enjoy!

Easy Cookies
1 box of cake mix (any kind you choose--I used chocolate)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup chocolate chips
chopped nuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients together, bake on 350 for 8-10 minutes (I had to bake them alot longer, because I put them on my Pampered Chef pans)--but they stay soft and yummy! Bon appetit!

5 comments:

Angie said...

The cookies look yummy, so now I have to try them....

Our standardized test is called the MCT. We will be taking it on May 1-3, and I am freaking out!!!! There's so much pressure, and the kids in our area are NOT known for doing really well like your kids. Every year, the district rants and raves at us like we had any control over it. We teach our hearts out, but like you said, some kids don't do well on those tests. At least next year, I won't be at all the orientation stuff to hear the ranting and raving. OK--I'm off my soap box now. :)

chris anne said...

that is the whole problem with no child left behind, too! ahh, i totally understand your rant--i've had the same one myself several times. the problem is that the people who make up these tests and these rules are not teachers and don't get it. is there room on that soap box for all of us?

Your Brother said...

What is all this talk about testing and school can't we get some comments on the great start of the year by my "BRAVOS'S"..for us readers of this blog that just happen to be grown and sexy men like myself!!!!

Kim said...

Okay, so I understand the pressure we have. I was in tears a couple months ago b/c my kids that spoke NO English in August (like 5 of them) just aren't learning how to read. I mean, I worked on recognizing the same 5 letters Sept-Dec. And I will not meet my "teaching goal." I felt- no matter what- all my children would be successful. I'm just not sure anymore...

Jillina said...

I'm def going to try and make these cookies tonight! A girl can always use a good chocolate boost :).