Blog Background

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Why I'll Never Have My Own Cooking Show

Since getting married, I have taken up the enjoyment of cooking. I really try to do new things almost every week, and that involves constantly reading cookbooks, and keeping them out when I am cooking. The other day, I was cooking "Broiled Lemon Chicken with Lemon Butter Sauce"--sounds absolutely fabulous, right? Well, as always, I had my cookbook laid out so I could know exactly what to do. I was cooking on the back eyes of my stove, and my cookbook was on the front of my stove. You can probably tell where I am headed with this. I was halfway through supper, and Andy and I smelled something funky in the kitchen. I checked all of my dishes, and everything was okay. Then, it hit me: I usually cook on the front eyes of the stove! I quietly (without drawing Andy's attention) looked at the knobs on the stove, and sure enough I had (out of habit) turned on the front eye of the stove, where my cookbook was laying. I wasn't quiet anymore, I grabbed my cookbook up and ran out on the back porch! Thankfully, it wasn't burned to a crisp, it just has a stovetop size burn on the back! Andy was trying to keep his laughs in, and I took some pictures because I knew I had to tell everyone how silly I was. So, if any of you were planning on coming to my cooking show on The Food Network, it's too bad--I don't think you qualify if you burn cookbooks! I'll leave you with the most recent casualty of my absent-mindedness!

14 comments:

Jillina said...

I have finally accepted that I will never be one of those gals who enjoys to cook - frankly it wears me out!

Becky said...

You are so funny... that is exactly something I would have done! I'm not a good cook either, I just stick to my mom's and Nate's mom's recipes for the most part, otherwise it will be totally screwed up!

Angie said...

My mom did this once and caught our whole kitchen on fire! I'm on about the same page as you when it comes to cooking-- I don't know though. You were trying something new, so you're probably still many pages ahead of me!

Rebecca Fua said...

beef...i left my brand new beautiful children's hospital cookbook on top of the toaster oven last year..and it COMPLETELY melted to the toaster. diego came with the toaster when we got married...i am not use to this thing! no actual fires..but i was sad. you just have to laugh! :)

chris anne said...

that is totally something that i would do. hey, at least you can laugh at yourself. how was the chicken?

Whitney said...

Aw, man so sad for the cookbook! Haha. I have done lots of things that involve things being on eyes that I didn't mean to turn on, but did. I bet you are an awesome cook and I would totally watch your show.

The Parker Family said...

I just checked out your blog. Great to see pictures of you. Sorry about the cooking. I also loved the introduction to having kids...very true and funny.

LaurenO said...

Your story must have inspired me...I burned an oven mit to a crisp this AM b/c I left the eye on and put the oven mit right on top(oops!). Thank goodness my house is still standing:)
I'm not sure what was I thinking trying to cook breakfast on a weekday morning anyway?! :)

Laura Alsup said...

Bethany, you are hilarious! I am SO guily of turning on the wrong eye all the time. I hope you're doing good and I hope we can get a girls weekend together soon!

Kim said...

Very funny but a little sad your cookbook is scorched. You should have practiced more on me. =)

Abigail and Ansley said...

HILARIOUS!!!!!!! I love the pictures!

Lindsay said...

I feel your pain. I always turn the wrong burner on : )

Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

that is scary! glad the story had a smooth ending!!!

you and your in-laws are all so cute - great UGA picture.

PS - Our Troy Trojans play in Athens in a few weeks.

dad mctee said...

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!! Always grill out, and you won't have to worry about burning up the cookbook, house etc.