Blog Background

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Stuff -n- Things

I have had a great week! I began my week by going shopping with Kate Hazlewood at the outlets (which is exactly halfway between my house and hers!). It was so good to be able to hang out with Kate, and we only had to drive 20 minutes to meet up! I didn't get much Christmas shopping done, but the company was completely worth it! Of course my week at school was as interesting as always: dealing with kids saying inappropriate comments about their teacher (I don't even want to type any of them out), helping kids, organizing our Secret Santa program, and getting ready for our annual school counselors conference. Carol Ann and I headed to Augusta for our conference and learned lots of fun new things that we can implement. One of the presentations we saw that sticks out in my head was a presentation from the Feingold Organization (http://www.feingold.org/). The presenter talked about how all the preservatives, artificial flavorings, and dyes in our food can affect children's (and adults!) behavior. They are hearing great success stories from parents whose children have a spectrum of medical diagnoses (autism, AD/HD, bipolar, etc.) and from parents who just want to remove this stuff from their diet. I would encourage you to check out their website and do some research of your own to see what you think! It is very interesting. Whitney, this is right up your alley!
When I returned from Augusta, I had a date planned with my sister-in-laws and a friend from church, Emily. We journeyed to the movie theatre for the opening night of "Twilight". We were surrounded by teeny-boppers galore, and they kept us laughing, because they would freak out and yell when one of the main characters, Edward, came onto the screen. I'll admit that my heart did go pitter-patter as well, but I kept my "Whoo Hoos!" to myself. We enjoyed the movie, but as always, the book was better. I won't bore you all with my critique of the movie, but for my fellow fans, let me know what you think when you see it! I hope your Thanksgiving week is great!

4 comments:

Whitney said...

haha, as I was reading your post about the dye in foods linking to childhood disorders, I was thinking I needed to check this out! :) You know me well! I have not ventured into the Twilight fiasco as many have...but sounds tempting.

Love and miss you!! Are you going to be in Dalton for Thanksgiving by chance??

Jane said...

Now is a good time to shop for those natural candies for the upcoming holidays. There's a photo of some of the yummies on the Feingold web site www.feingold.org. But if you live near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, or a well-stocked health food store you should find lots of things to enjoy.
If not, I was at Target this afternoon, where they are having a sale on Ghirardelli chocolates. Look for the ones that say "vanilla" and stay away from the ones with fake vanilla ("vanillin") or that use the word "artificial" or "imitation."
Target also has some of their own brand of chocolates that are natural.
Even Wal-Mart offers natural PB/chocolate cups and usually carries Pearson's Natural chocolate covered mint patties.

Jillina said...

I finished Twilight and am dying to get into the next books and of course go see the movie. I'm afraid Edward may not be as hot in the movie as he is in my head - trust me he's a hottie in there :)

Tastiman said...

Thanks for sharing the experiences of your life.
Boot Dryers