Blog Background

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Junior League and The Women

In an attempt to spread my wings out further in Gainesville--well, actually, to get completely out of my comfort zone, I have joined the Junior League in town. For those of you who do not know what Junior League is (or if you have preconceived notions)--let me tell you a little about it. It is a service organization for women, which requires a 7 year commitment (yes, 7 years, folks!). Each year, each member must volunteer in a charitable organization for a minumum of 40 hours. The first year (my provisional year)--we are not placed, but learn all about "The League" as some people call it in several different meetings. I am really excited about it, and I have met a lot of new women in the community. Our provisional class has about 36 women in it, and I am feeling a little bit like I am back in the pledging world--but a little more grown up. I always thought Junior League was made up of people that could be kind of snotty--but that before I had ever met anyone in it:)! So far, there is not a snob in the bunch! Thanks to Carol Ann for opening my eyes!

Back in the summer, I recommended the "Twilight" series of books--and many people have now gotten addicted to them. I apologize to your husbands and children if you were one of my victims--but they are just that good. Now, I am going to recommend a movie. Last night, I went with a bunch of girls to see "The Women" starring, well, basically half the famous women in Hollywood: Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing, etc. You have to get a group of girls together to go see it--it is a total chick flick--and there is not ONE man in the entire movie, I guess that is why it is called "The Women". We all really enjoyed it! Well, I'm off to eat supper, then watch UGA take on Arizona State--GO DAWGS!! You've gotta love college football season!

6 comments:

Angie said...

Oooo- I've got to see that movie! Good luck with the Junior League. That's pretty much why I decided to do Tupelo Women's Club---branch out, get involved, do something besides be "Mommy" for a few hours. :)

Laurie said...

Junior League, huh! You better not have another big sis or I will be jealous!

Kim said...

Junior League sounds like a cool opportunity. I've never heard of it!

chris anne said...

i'm glad you are enjoying being in the junior league. i can't wait to see that movie.

Cristie said...

GO DAWGS!

Tastiman said...

Thanks for sharing the experiences of your life.
Boot Dryers