Blog Background

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Dress & Speak Like Pirates!

Yes, this is a flashback to Spring 1999: Singarama, baby! Tonight was the first night of VBS for our church and it is pirate-themed! Of course, I get the shakes when I see someone in pirate costume come near me, I feel as though I should say to them, "Arghh, my name is Bethany, and I am a proud pledge of Pi Delta!", but alas, I hold my tongue and pull myself out of it. Fortunately, I am a storyteller, so I get to dress like a Bible-times person, but Andy has to dress like a pirate, and this is seriously the first time that I have ever seen him dress in costume EVER--pictures will come later, I have to work on his costume so he looks more put together. He told me he doesn't want to be a dirty pirate--I guess I have to figure out how to make him a preppy pirate, that would fit him the best.
On the work front, I have no work! I am enjoying my first full week off from school. I have filled my week with going to the pool and going shopping--my two favorite things! The last two summers were filled with graduate school, so I actually get to have a summer with no commitments to anything else--it is glorious I tell you!
Last Friday, Andy, Andy's brothers, their wives, and me did the county-wide Relay For Life. It was the first time I have done something like that, and I enjoyed it so much. It was so wonderful, and also bittersweet, to see the men and women in their purple shirts that signified that they were survivors of cancer. I was so thankful for their families that they were alive and healthy enough to be there, but I also thought about Katie and how I wished she was there in a purple shirt. I lit a luminary for her and it was very cool to see all the luminaries that represented the people who were victims and survivors of this disease that I wish would just go away. Don't forget to spend time with your loved ones! I hope everyone's summer is going well--look for pictures soon!

5 comments:

chris anne said...

thank you for the laugh this morning with the pirate memories! and PLEASE get pictures of andy as a preppy pirate. i'm pretty sure david would pay good money for them!

Cristie said...

I hated that pirate outfit, I am so not the singorama type. Jealous of your no working, shopping and sitting by the pool days. This is my last week of working full time, I am so excited!

Jillina said...

I have laughed out loud hard!! Do you remember Leslie's joke she told -
Q- What type of socks do pirates wear?

A- Aar- giles!

Ahh good times!

Angie said...

I was just about to type Leslie's "AAAR-gyle" joke when I saw that Jillina had already reminisced. Memories..... :) Long live the fab 14! he he

Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

i'm looking for the pirate and bible character pictures too! hope it went well. we were exhausted when ours was thru.