Blog Background

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Trip to the Chiropractor...With My Dog!

Okay, it is official, I am absolutely nuts about my doodle, Callie! I will leave Andy out of this (although I will say that he was supportive). Callie and I went for her second visit to the chiropractor today (yes, I said chiropractor!). Over the past several months, if her head gets turned a certain way, she will freak out, start crying, and limp on her left leg. Since she only did this very randomly, I kept thinking I was stepping on her foot! As I paid better attention, I realized it was a problem with her neck--but since she didn't have a "fit" very often, I chose to not worry about it. Well, when we returned from vacation, she was having a freak out session 1-2 times a day! Now, let's just say it was so horrible that if she did it around other dogs, they would start barking at her, and I would just cry (okay, another reason I cannot have children, I cry when my dog is hurt!). It was horrible. After talking to our vet, he suggested that we could either treat it with medicine without knowing what was wrong, do a MRI to diagnose the problem, or since I had narrowed it down to a neck problem--take her to the chiropractor. I thought he was on crack, but he assured me that he has sent many dogs to the chiropractor to help with neck, back, and leg problems, with great success. Hesitantly, I called the chiropractor thinking they would think I was off my rocker for even calling. But, no, they welcomed us with open arms. We went to the first appointment last Friday, and the second one today. I am happy to report that she has not had one episode since last Thursday, and the chiropractor just said to monitor her. The visit was cheaper than a visit to the vet, and she has improved! How crazy is that?! The chiropractor told me that he usually works with dogs who are older and having problems getting around. He once helped a dachshund (sp?) who couldn't walk, and the dog left his office walking! So, all this to say, he made a believer out of me! Thank you, Dr. Dellinger! Here is an old picture of Callie--I hate to post without pictures!

7 comments:

Angie said...

I can honestly say that I've never heard of a doggy chiropractor before. You definitely take first prize for dog spoiling! :-) My dogs want to know if they can come live with you for a week. They're feeling a little neglected and need some of your special TLC!

Becky said...

Oh! Poor Callie! I have cried MANY times over our sick cat, Samson, who is doing great now by the way, so don't feel bad! We just love our pets!!!! :) Glad the chiropractor worked so far! We're the only people I know who have had a splenectomy on their cat, so there you go! :)

Kim said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is amazing! I totally know how much you love your dog- just wait, my next post will be about Jake. Funny thing, the other day someone asked me how I came up with Jake's name. I told them about the few other names he had until you came up with one I liked! =)
I'm so so so glad Callie is feeling better. That must've been traumatic!

Leslie Ware said...

I am with you--I would totally take our dog to the chiropractor if needed. Our dog has seizures and every time I think about it, I cry. I think it is good practice for having kids :)

Leslie Poole Ware

chris anne said...

that is so funny, not that callie is hurting, but that you went to the chiroractor! tell callie i hope she is feeling better soon. campbell sends his love!

Whitney said...

Aw, that is so cool!! SO glad Callie is better:) The chiropractor has done wonders for me as well. Your blogs make me miss you so much b/c I can just hearing you saying all of it!! Whaaaa!!! (that's me whining)

Lindsay said...

Poor Callie! She's so lucky to have a momma that loves her so much she'll take her to the chiropractor. I hope that's not a doodle problem : )