Blog Background

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The First Day of School...And Prayers Are Needed!

Today was my first day back at school with all 802 children! I have to admit, I love, love, love my school and everyone I work with! The first few days are tons of fun, because the kids are so excited to see you, and you get lots and lots of hugs and waves (which always fills me up:)!). It is nice to be a little more experienced and not having to say every 5 minutes, "Um, I don't know, let me go ask Carol Ann". Carol Ann is the other counselor, and this is her 12th year, so she knows waaaay more than me, but we are a fun team, I must say! Her little boy, Eli, started kindergarten this year, but she soldiered through the first day knowing he was having a blast. Okay, now for the prayers...I need some prayers on how to handle increased stress brought on by kids who have behavior problems. I can come up with behavior plans, consequences, and creative ideas, but I take everything really seriously, and get upset when things don't improve. And most of you know, if there is a true behavior problem, school employees can only do so much! So, just pray for patience & direction for the teachers and me--we are definitely going to need it! I hope everyone else's work is going well, and for all you preggers people, take care of yourselves, you can only be selfish for a little while longer!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Good luck to you!!
I must tell you about our new counselor last year- I had an EBD kid, and when she would take him off my hands, she would just have him draw! It was so frustrating- she never talked about his behavior!
I know it'll be stressful for you, but the kids and teachers will love you so much! You are doing so much good at your work, and you'll be an expert soon! =)

chris anne said...

that is the hardest part of working in education. the only thing you can do is the best you can. and remember that you cannot fix these kids--all you can do is love them and do what you can. i know that probably doesn't help much, but i never mastered that myself!

Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

I will pray for you as you start the new school year.

Glad the chiropractor was able to help Callie. That is very scary, and yes, our doggies are spoiled rotten.

I haven't seen Carrie in so long. Please tell her hello! I am glad you had fun beach trips with friends and family. Oh, Blue Mtn Beach is right there where we've been staying.

Have a good week!

Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

It was good to see Laura, Lauren and Andrea too!

Elizabeth Miller said...

Has school already started??? OH MY!!! Can't you just spank the kids???...just kidding : ) Good luck. I have a strong willed child and nothing works but prayer : ) Which of coarse is not allowed either : ) LOVE YOU!!

Jillina said...

Aww sweet Bethany! You are in my prayers.