Blog Background

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Good Touch, Bad Touch

"Good Touch, Bad Touch"--What!?!?!? You may ask, is this? Actually, it is the program that I am attending this week that I must be trained in to talk to elementary kids about sexual abuse. So far this week, my days have consisted of sitting in on presentations from our trainer (Heather, who is GREAT!) in kindergarten, 3rd, and 5th grade in the mornings, and discussing the statistics and other yucky stuff about sexual abuse. Let me tell you, you haven't lived until you have heard a group of kindergarteners yell out the words, "Sexual Abuse!!!" It creeped me out at first, until I heard the statistic that 1 out of 3 girls, and 1 out of 5 boys are sexually abused (according to recent studies)--now I realize this is a must for all kids to know. Let me encourage you to talk to your kids about Good Touches, Bad Touches, and Confusing Touches (confusing touches are the ones that give you the "uh-oh" feeling--a.k.a. sexual abuse).
Enough about that. I hope everyone is having a happy Wednesday! I surely am, Callie and I are hanging out--and I am procrastinating about studying for my mid-term which is next Tuesday night. This is my first test in 2 1/2 years--I think I have forgotten how to study (fortunately, I have been teaching the 5th graders at my school about study skills!) I love hearing from all of you! Love to all!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Hey girl!!!! Didn't know you were blogging. I've been waiting for you to start one. =) Did you show the Chester video to the Kers? That's always a lovely viewing. Well, looking forward to reading all about you. Good luck with the studying- I remember how devoted to the books you were. =)

Jillina said...

I hear all about good touch bad touch from Melanie and Babs. But somehow I think your version of teaching it would be much more lively and somehow dramatic. :)

Lindsay said...

Good luck with your test tomorrow!!

Kim said...

I keep forgetting you're on blogspot. But um... no update? What's up with that?